More there will be drops of clean water, more the world will shine beauty.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Water: a precious commodity
Water is the basis of life, and it is a fundamental good for all living beings. Since ancient times, water was always the primary role of quenching the thirst of man and animals; of irrigating fields and giving life to the fruits of the earth; through the sea, of regulating the climate and allowing people to navigate and establish new civilizations.
Today, however, this indispensable good is put at risk, both by climate change and by human activity, which wastes and pollutes it.
Drought is spreading in many parts of the world, causing fires, water emergencies, damage to crops.
What can any individual do to help protect water and its purity, and avoid waste?
The 10 rules not to waste water
- Close the tap when not needed, for example while brushing your teeth or shaving. This simple shrewdness saves 6 litres of water every minute.
- Choose to take a shower, not a bath: the shower is worth 75% less consumption (25 litres against 100).
- Decrease the shower time: every minute spent in the shower wastes between 6 and 10 litres of water.
- Use appliances efficiently: use washing machines and dishwashers with full load and in eco or fast mode. On the market there are models of "Energy star" appliances, which save 50% of water and deliver the quantity according to the load.
- Collect the water that flows before it becomes hot, to use it later.
- Water your plants correctly: be careful not to wet driveways or paved areas, and choose to water in the evening, so that the water does not evaporate quickly during the hottest hours of the day.
- Beware of dripping taps or pipes: leaks and malfunctioning spouts are among the main causes of water wastage (2,000 litres per year).
- Install the air-filled discharge hopper/faucet: this is a small mixer placed on the tap that mixes air and water and allows a water saving of 50%.
- Install a cassette toilet flush, choosing those with a capacity not exceeding 6 litres: the double button allows to diversify the flow rate of the flush and with the stop button you can avoid wasting unnecessary water.
- Check the meter regularly: it is a wise way to notice any leaks in time and pay attention to your water consumption.